Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Book review: Will's Red Coat by Tom Ryan




I just recently finished reading Will's Red Coat by Tom Ryan.
Tom Ryan as some of you may remember is the author of Following Atticus.

Will's Red Coat is about a tiny white dog that Tom Ryan takes in and shares his home with for a time. Tom learned about Will's situation from a post on his Following Atticus Facebook page. He decides to take the little dog in. Will is older and deaf and going blind so the thought is that taking Will in will just be giving him a place to die. We realize while reading the book that it turns into so much more.

During their first interaction Will bites Tom's finger. This does not deter Tom from taking Will to his home in New Hampshire. Throughout the book the affection between Tom and will begins to grow very slowly. tom takes care of the little dog and allows him to decide on his own that he wants to live instead of just being comfortable and dying. Will learns to delight in the smells and people of New Hampshire. Tom will say that he did not rescue Will but merely gave Will the chance to rescue himself. This little white dog taught the lesson that being old is not a disease. Will found joy in the strong smell of flowers especially wildflowers.

The setting of picturesque New Hampshire adds to the wonderful feel of this book. Tom describes the sights and sounds and tails of New Hampshire in ways that can't help but make you smile.

The ending of this book was inevitable and exactly what you would expect and will make you cry. It also made me smile knowing that little Will is somewhere surrounded by the wildflowers that he loved so much.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves and respects animals especially dogs.

I thank Tom Ryan for sharing this story, really this journey of little Will. It truly touched my heart.

Thanks for reading
If you get a chance to check this book out send me a comment of what you thought.
have a great week and hug your puppies!!πŸ’•πŸ’™πŸ•πŸ•πŸΎπŸΎ

32 comments:

  1. Great review. I too have read and enjoyed Will's Red Coat along with Following Atticus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a great book have read it twice and will read it again.will has touched many souls and Tom has helped others have the strength to know how to let go of their special friend

      Delete
    2. I did not read Following Atticus. However, I can tell you that Will's Red Coat by Tom Ryan is one of the most beautifully written stories I have ever read. I am from New England and a dog lover to boot. This story captured my heart in so many ways. It is a must read for animal and nature lovers. It truly enhanced my spirituality and taught me what's really important in life.

      Delete
  2. Great job of capturing the beauty of "Will's Red Coat." Tom Ryan's writing is as beautiful as Will's spirit.

    Marilyn Young
    St. Augustine, Florida

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the book even though I knew the story. Tom's vivid writing made me feel I was observing the story as a spectator and there were scenes that were described so beautifully - they set off all kinds of emotions. Beautifully written - anyone who loves dogs will love this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to pick up a copy of this book and settle in for a wonderful read.

    Karen and Riley

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this book too. I must agree whole heartedly with your sentiment that old age is not a disease. Tom did a wonderful thing with Will especially, but Atticus and Sam, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Review. I have also loved Will's Red Coat and Following Atticus. It changes how you think about dogs, even your own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved reading Following Atticus, and was looking forward to Will's Red Coat after following his story on Facebook while he was alive. Another beautiful story that everyone should gift themselves by reading. Don't shy away because you think the end will be sad. It's so much more than that. In fact, quite the opposite. Don't miss out! Read it, and be better for having done so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone I have recommended the book to has enjoyed it.

      Delete
  9. Love this book! Already read it twice and get something new each time

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also loved Will's Red Coat. Who could resist the cover photo of Will in his red coat. The ending was less sad because of all the joy Tom brought to Will's life in his final years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tom Ryan certainly has a gift with words. I have loved his books and I especially loved hearing him read the books on audible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am reading this book now and loving every page! Thank you for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great review, capturing the way Tom Ryan treats his dogs as fellow beings to be respected and helped to find their own way to enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for reviewing Wills Red Coat. I need to move it to the top of my to read queue. I learned about Tom Ryan from his Following Atticus Facebook page where his writing is as wonderful as you make this sound. I also appreciate his candid photos and videos of his walks and time with current companion, Samwise.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved both of Tom's books...glad you did too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review, wonderful book, lovely man

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed your review. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review. It is a wonderful and touching story. We should all be so lucky to experience such love in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Will was a challenge many would have avoided. Tom Ryan instinctively reads a dog and demonstrates a patience and love that few dogs get to experience.
    His writing skills are superb! Through the pages of his books and blogs, I have learned to love Will and Atticus, and now Samwise. A true gift to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read Following Atticus and fell in love with Tom and Atti from the first page. I owned a religious bookstore at the time and carried it, and sold many copies. When I started on Facebook and discovered their page, I started following and met Will. I cried when he died. As time went on, and Tom got sick, then Atticus died...I prayed and cried yet again. Will's Red Coat was a completion in my mind of years of a relationship in which both Wiil and Tom (and Atticus) grew. The book is not only well written and heartfelt, it is philosophical and encouraging as well. I don't think you have to be a dog owner to read and enjoy this. I think you just have to love.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have not read the book about Will but have loved the saga about Atticus and it came to me when I was facing a great challenge in my life. I kept and still have a copy of their story beside my bed. The vision of dear little Atticus treading on through the storm has been mainstay in my life. As I was ascending in the Himalayas I thought so dearly of those two brave souls facing such great challenges. I only wish I knew how to contact Tom and his new companion as they follow their new adventures. Cheers to Tom and his wonderful canine companions how as are my two the soul and heart of our being

    ReplyDelete
  22. My hope is that Tom's books will end up on "best seller lists" all over the country. His writing about his dogs has lessons for all of us about life and love. Hopefully his next year after he is home from his trip with
    will spawn a new book with lots of his amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete